Cersei's Spiced Cakes
*Note* This content was created for Bee Creative Swaps which is no longer active and has been moved to The Morose Bee blog for archiving.
Between the Fantasy and Sci-Fi Swap coming to a close and autumn being on its way, I was craving something spiced, not too sweet, and fall inspired. I got the idea to make a spiced wine cakes inspired by Game of Thrones. This is a modified recipe called Call Me Blondies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. When it comes to cooking, I'm all about experimenting and seeing how something turns out, but with baking things are a little more scientific. Essentially, I've swapped out the liquid components for red wine, subbed in some maple syrup in place of some of the sugar, and added in some orange zest and cinnamon to give that extra mulled wine vibe. The cake itself is not overly sweet which I personally prefer, but all the chocolate chunks give you bites of extra sweetness. If you look back at a lot of the recipes I've shared either here or on my blog, you can tell I love less sweetened desserts!
Anyways onto the recipe! Ingrediants:
3 ounces firm silken tofu
1/4 cup red wine
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/8 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
zest from one orange
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Blend the tofu, wine, and oil in a blender. Add in the maple syrup.
3. Transfer the tofu mixture in a bowl and use a spatula to fold in the brown sugar and vanilla.
4. Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Fold together with a spatula.
5. Fold in the orange zest and chocolate chips.
6. Bake for 27 minutes. Cool for roughly 30 minutes after.